If you don't HAVE to drive this weekend... you might not want to. This weekend is about to get nasty because of some major events and some big construction closures - including closing 520, the I90 Express Lanes, and SR99 through Seattle.
Here's the rundown... (no pun intended)
- ROCK N' ROLL FULL/HALF MARATHON. Saturday, June 21st. Begins on the north side of the Space Needle and ends back at Seattle Center. Roads will begin to be closed at 3am and remain closed through the end of all the races, expected in the afternoon (wrapping up around 2pm). On top of that, THOUSANDS are expected to line the route and be at the finish line. So, it's going to make things a mess. Road closures will include:
- Mercer from Queen Anne Ave to Dexter.
- SR99 from Republican to Olympic
- 2nd Avenue down to the stadiums
- I90 from 4th to the Express Lanes
- I90 Express Lanes our to 81st on Mercer Island (closed till 2pm)
- Lake Washington Blvd from I90 to Seward Park
- Rainier Ave S from I90 to Genesee Street, out to Genesee Park
- Dearborn from Rainier to 5th Ave S
- 5th Ave S from Dearborn to Space Needle
- FREMONT FAIR - SOLSTICE PARADE AND EVENTS. Friday, June 20th through Sunday, June 22nd. There are a bunch of events going on in Fremont this weekend, meaning there will be a LOT of closed streets in the area. CLICK HERE for information about the Fremont Fair.
- Fremont Solstice Parade, Saturday, June 21st at 3pm
- Sunday Dog Parade, Sunday, June 22nd at 2pm
- Concerts all weekend long on various stages on side-streets
- 520 FLOATING BRIDGE CLOSED ALL WEEKEND - This closure is happening so crews can pour 10,000 TONS of asphalt on the highway's eastbound lanes.
- SR 520 will be closed from Montlake Blvd to I405 from 11pm Friday, June 20th through 5am Monday, June 23rd.
- SR99 CLOSURES - Yes, the SB lanes of SR99 will be CLOSED for the Rock N' Roll marathon on Saturday, but the northbound lanes of SR99 from South Spokane Street (West Seattle Bridge) to Valley Street (AKA from the Viaduct all the way through the Battery Street Tunnel). This is being done to re-route the temporary roadway near the stadiums.
- NB SR99 from South Spokane Street to Valley Street will close at 10pm Friday, June 20th and re-open at 5am on Monday, June 23rd.
- After the marathon, one southbound lane of SR99 will be closed from Republican to Thomas for utility work. This will remain closed until 5am on Monday, June 23rd.
Long story short... avoid Seattle and the floating bridges. Your best option is take 405 around the area (seriously). Getting to I90 will be tough all weekend, and downtown Seattle and Fremont will be nasty all weekend as well.
Good luck, pack your patience, and drive safely.