Since its creation in 1936, there have been nearly 100 Sports Stars honored at this event. Once an individual has been named a Sports Star, they become part of an elite ensemble, grouped with some of the most notable sports icons in our region’s history.
Nominees are selected by the Sports Star Committee, which is compiled of local sports historians, media and others active in the sports industry. Fans can vote for their favorite nominee in the Male, Female and Sports Story of the Year categories online at www.sportsstaroftheyear.org. The public is encouraged to vote beginning Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 10am PST through Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 5pm PST. Winners will be announced during the event on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at Benaroya Hall.
Nominees for the Female Sports Star of the Year:
• Joan Bonvicini (Seattle University Women’s Basketball Head Coach)
• Krista Vansant (UW Volleyball)
• Marti Malloy (USA Judo)
• Melissa Arnot (Record holding Mountaineer)
• Micaela Castain (WSU Soccer)
• Tina Thompson (Storm Basketball)
Nominees for the Male Sports Star of the Year:
• Bishop Sankey (UW Football)
• DeAndre Yedlin (Sounders FC)
• Hisashi Iwakuma (Mariners Pitcher)
• John Lester (Red Sox Pitcher)
• Russell Wilson (Seahawks Quarterback)
• UW Men’s Soccer
Nominees for the Sports Story of the Year:
• Eastlake Little League
• Husky Stadium
• UW Volleyball
• UW Crew
• Seahawks Run
• Seattle University Men’s & Women’s Soccer
Tickets to the show can be purchased at the Benaroya Hall Box Office, at www.benaroyahall.org, or by calling 206-215-4747. Premium tickets are $100 and include access to the show and VIP reception. Show-only tickets can be purchased for $25.
To learn more about the MTR Western Sports Star of the Year and this year’s nominees, visit www.sportsstaroftheyear.org.